Search The Web

Friday, October 3, 2014

Kannywood Could Win Oscar - Ali Nuhu


Ali Nuhu is Kannywood's biggest star, as well as one of the most successful actors in Nollywood. Weekend Magazine cornered him for a chat, during which he spoke about his rumoured second marriage, career and others. Excerpts:
There are reports that you're going to marry a second wife, the daughter of a traditional ruler. True?
Totally false. People come up with imaginary claims which are totally baseless and the stories take on a life of their own. I've never intended to take a second wife, and I have no interest in that. Thank God, it didn't really cause a problem in my marriage because I have an understanding wife who believes in who I am. She understands the pressure of my job and the rumours that come along with it. It was never an issue for her for a minute. We understand each other perfectly and our trust for each other is unshakable.
Industry-watchers say you've have stepped down as the 'King of Kannywood' for Adam A. Zango. Do you agree with that?
We all have unique personalities when it comes to work. I'm still very active in Kannywood, so stepping down should not come up. Adam Zango is a very good actor and we're quite close. Those notions are mere speculation. It comes with the territory.
You are an ambassador for Samsung and you have an endorsement deal with Glo while remaining an active participant in the entertainment industry. How do you juggle all this?
It's not easy. Most of the endorsement work one does is time-consuming, because clients could just say they need you at any point and it could affect your schedule. But sometimes directors and producers understand with us because they know that as an actor, endorsement deals are important. Presently, I'm also an ambassador of Unilever and I have to be away most weekends to do some door-to-door surprise visits to consumers in some specific markets. Even if I'm on set, I know that at this particular time I have this activity. It's an arrangement between me and the producers.
You have directed a few movies. What remains a personal love for you: Acting or directing?
Acting is my first and only love.
You flit between Kannywood and Nollywood. Which of the two is more challenging?
I wouldn't say any of the two is more challenging than the other. What I would say about challenges when it comes to movies is how difficult a role is to interpret, in any given industry. It's a role that is either challenging or a breeze to go through. For instance, when I was shooting 'Sitanda,' we had to shoot in a deep forest and it was hellish as we had to shoot at night and we were wearing skin outfits as the story's set in the past, so I almost froze due to the cold rain that was falling. Now, that's a challenge and it could come up in any movie, in any industry.
Do feel there are enough collaborations between Kannywood and Nollywood?
Well, there are several between the two industries, too numerous to mention. Ones that immediately come to mind are 'Hamza' and 'Oga Abuja'. Both industries have come of age, so collaboration is a no-brainer.
Which A-list Nollywood actor/actress do you hope to see in a Kannywood production and why?
I will love to work with someone like Desmond Elliot because he quite understands Hausa. I don't know why he hasn't featured in any Hausa movie. He's from Southern Nigeria but I think he will do well.
Kannywood has come under a lot of criticism in terms of production quality. What's your opinion on this?
Critics will always criticize. In the end, what matters is the end product. Critics forget the efforts being put in the industry. Most of the people in the industry are not actually professionals in any field, with little or no formal training. Some find themselves in the industry by chance. They should be commended, not condemned. However, I respect constructive criticism.
Ways to help the industry include an active drive to fully revive cinema-going culture. Northerners don't have that, so maybe better theatres and equipment will do the trick. Also, sponsorship should be applied by big corporations. When we started, nobody was sponsoring anything and we were using monies from our pockets to produce movies. Also, an elevation of standards would help. Standards of filmmaking, marketing, et cetera.
And critics can sometimes miss the mark. Like in the case of the worst review my work ever got, when a reviewer took apart my performance in 'Sitanda' by declaring it as "stiff". She basically wrote what she wanted to write and the movie premiered and it became a success and I even won an AMAA for it. Some people still argue that it's one of my best performances. So, criticism isn't always on the mark.
What is the biggest budget you've ever sunk into a movie, as a producer or director?
I would say it's about N6 million, around 2004. However, I'm looking into epic, big budget productions in the future.
What is your opinion about the North having a film institute where you can train actors, similar to what is obtainable in Imo State?
The Kano State governor is setting one up. I don't have an active role in setting it up because he actually wants to bring professionals from India to come and start up the school. For the more technical aspects like the cinematography, you can't invite someone like me to come and give lectures on it because I don't know much about it.
Nigeria gets Grammy nominations every once in a while. Do you think Kannywood could one day get an Oscar nod?
Yes. With the right story, cast, director and a good dose of luck, it's definitely a possibility. We do have a lot of great stories in Nigeria. Maybe when we tell them, the Academy Awards will notice.
Source: Daily Trust

No comments:

Post a Comment